Welcome to the Stonehill College chapter
Financial Management Association
Established in 1970, the FMA is a global leader in developing and disseminating knowledge about financial decision making. The mission of the FMA is to broaden the common interests between academicians and practitioners, provide opportunities for professional interaction between and among academicians, practitioners and students, promote the development and understanding of basic and applied research and of sound financial practices, and to enhance the quality of education in finance.
FMA’s members include finance practitioners and academicians and students who are interested in the techniques and advances which define the field of finance.
Consistent with this mission, the members of FMA share the following values and beliefs:
- Professional integrity is a critical component of quality research, education and practice.
- Respect, understanding, and appreciation of the diverse needs and interests of others are necessary to achieve mutually beneficial interaction among academicians, practitioners and students.
- Free and open discourse and interaction among academician, practitioners, and students are essential to the origination and evaluation of new ideas and the improvement of financial decision making.
- Open governance, broad-based participation, and continuous improvement in quality of services are critical to achieving FMA International’s mission.
A non-profit organization, FMA publishes research and commentary on important financial issues; hosts annual finance conferences at which advances in theoretical and empirical research come together with the current issues and concerns of practicing finance professionals are taught, critiqued, and discussed; and brings together the professionals who share a common interest in finance. FMA also maintains one of the largest clearinghouses of doctorally-qualified positions and candidates in the finance community for its members and has student chapters throughout the United States, Canada, Mexico, Europe and Australia.
Stonehill College Chapter History and Mission
The Department of Business Administration supports an active Student Chapter of the Financial Management Association here at Stonehill College. Our local organization re-established its charter in 2010 with the FMA International and in doing so also established the FMA National Honor Society for students majoring in finance. Each year our goal is to exceed the requirements for Superior Chapter Honors, create leadership opportunities for any student seeking to contribute to our mission and goals, and provide professional development and community service opportunities for all our members. More specifically –
The Mission of the Stonehill College Financial Management Association (FMA) is to bridge the strong academic foundation of the College’s Business Administration program with the necessary skills, experiences and relationships for its members to maximize their professional and personal potential post graduation. In keeping with the Mission of Stonehill College, our chapter strives to create educational opportunities of the highest caliber, sponsor events to enhance the free flow of ideas and critical thinking, and participate in a community that respects the inherent dignity of each person. Our Chapter is also committed to the highest standards and expectation of the FMA International and to distinguish itself as leading undergraduate chapter in all respects worldwide.
FMA National Honor Society
Acceptance into the FMA National Honor Society in the Stonehill College requires:
- Paid membership in the FMA
- Declared Finance Major with senior standing
- Overall GPA of 3.25 or higher and completion of at least four finance course at Stonehill College
- Minimum GPA 3.50 in all finance courses completed at Stonehill College with a minimum of 12 hours