Hello everyone! I hope you all had a great weekend. This weekend was one for the books for Stonehill as we held our largest ever Fall Open House. Stonehill welcomed over 900 perspective students and a total of approximately 3,000 visitors. It was a very exciting time to showcase our love and enthusiasm for Stonehill! While serving as a science panelist and science center tour guide, I had flashbacks to when I was in the shoes of these perspective students, touring the Shields Science Center with awe and excitement and learning about the many opportunities Stonehill had to offer. As I reminisced about these good times, I began to think about all of the reasons why I am so grateful I enrolled at Stonehill College. Below are the top ten of the many reasons why Stonehill will forever be my home away from home.
1. The professors: The professors at Stonehill College are always available when we need some extra help for a class or even if we need to have a life chat. Many of my friends often remark about that one life changing talk with one of their favorite professors or how their professors are actually now their friends. It’s pretty evident that Stonehill professors not only care about our academics but are also interested in our passions and want to guide us in any way possible.
2. The community: As a small college, Stonehill cultivates a close-knit community that makes the campus really feel like a second home. We all know so many of our fellow Stonehill peers and genuinely care for each other, a characteristic which in my opinion is particular visible through many of our programs and leadership organizations.
3. The classes: Every class I’ve taken here has provided me with a little more insight and given me a fresh perspective of the world. Whether I’m learning about the world at the molecular level, exploring different cultures, or looking at social injustices, I’ve been able to engage in a range of discussions and expand my breadth of knowledge. What’s even more amazing is the Integrating Democratic Education at Stonehill (IDEAS) Program, which gives students the opportunity to facilitate a class on a topic of their choosing. The program is a great way to bring more awareness to a topic you are particularly passionate about or explore subjects you may not be too familiar with.
4. HOPE Trips: This one is actually pretty relevant since HOPE trip placements were recently announced and just as every year, social media was filled with many excited posts about where people will be spending time serving our neighbors. HOPE trips are a very unique aspect of Stonehill and often provide an incredible amount of insight and personal growth. I’ve been lucky to participate in HOPE trips to the Dominican Republic and the Bronx, New York and I loved both experiences. For those of you who are considering applying for HOPE next year, I would definitely recommend it!
5. SGA events: Whether it’s a movie out on the quad or our beloved bingo nights, SGA plans so many fun and exciting events. Mixers, carnivals, beach trips, you name it! These events are great ways to get the community together, meet new people, and just have a great time, especially when you need a break from academics or want to reward yourself for all of your hard work.
6. DiverCity: Yes, DiverCity is technically a SGA event that specifically falls under the SGA Diversity Committee but DiverCity is so awesome that it had to stand on its own here! DiverCity is a festival that incorporates dance segments, spoken word performances, theatrical pieces, fashion and much more. It is meant to represent and celebrate diversity while also looking at different social justice issues. Each year, I participate in the Bollywood dance and I absolutely love it!
7. The cozy spots: A lot of people on campus have that one spot they love visiting when they need to do work or just want to hang out. The beauty about Stonehill is that there are so many little cozy spots that fulfill this very purpose! One of my favorites is a bench right outside the Campus Ministry that overlooks O’Hara Pond. This view of the pond here is especially gorgeous during the autumn.
8. Aesthetics: Going along with the many cozy spots, Stonehill is just an overall beautiful campus. This is evident by the way the snow blankets our grass in the winter, the radiance of Donahue Hall in the summertime, or the colorful palette of the trees in the autumn. Or how about the deer that frolic the campus or the turtles near O’Hara Pond? Stonehill also has a range of different plants and animals that create such an aesthetic campus. In fact, according to the Stonehill College 2015 BioBlitz, our campus is home to at least 140 different species. So go ahead and take that beautiful Instagram picture of the swans swimming about or the amazing red and yellow trees that overlook us; it’s part of the Stonehill experience!
9. The opportunities: There is so much to get involved in on campus. Interested in social justice work? Apply for the ALANA-A Brothers and Sisters Leadership Program. Love singing? Check out the Chapel Choir! Have a passion for Doctor Who? SciFi Club might be for you! With over 70 student organizations, Stonehill provides a plethora of opportunities for students with a diverse range of interests.
10. Our success: Stonehill may be a small college but don’t underestimate its power! According to the Stonehill College website, out of the Class of 2015 graduates who were actively looking for employment, 65% were successful in finding jobs. Moreover, 76% of those Class of 2015 graduates who wanted to pursue further education were admitted to graduate schools. Meanwhile, 100% of the Class of 2015 graduates who wanted to participate in service after graduation were admitted into post-graduate service programs. These statistics indicate that Stonehill has a great success story. Together with the many available resources and opportunities, the devoted faculty and staff, the range of diverse classes, and the amazing community, Stonehill College provides an incredible college experience that ultimately prepares students to pursue their hopes and dreams.