Student Government Association Blog
Senate Minutes 10-26-2015
SGA Senate Agenda
Monday, October 26, 2015
Attendance – All Present
Excused- Tim Cronin, Laura Harvey, Mike Middleton
- Andrew Hunt- Aces Place after Thanksgiving may increase Sunday hours- Budget issue
- Travis- Sem Fundraiser coming soon
- How to approve of minutes
- Starting soon, please check out the minutes. Make sure there are no mistakes.
- Senate Outcomes
- E-mail & blog
- We will be posting full minutes on blog
- With an outline of Senate sent to the Student Body via E-Mail
- It’s On Us
- After Senate, Hall Senators could begin posting them up in their residence halls.
- Commit to wearing nametags. Different form of advertising.
- Bring them to next Monday’s senate.
- One Love
- Diversity Committee with Jess Greene- Discuss domestic relationships. In honor of student Yeardely Love
- How to identify abusive relationship
- November 3rd at Senate
- Working with Health and Wellness
- Panel on Wednesday night
- Awareness for sexual assault.
- Continue to raise awareness.
- Everyone is aware of what the event is.
- Town Hall
- Survey for topics
- Top 3- Sodexo, Campus Safety, and Policy Changes
- Biased Incidents
- Survey is closed
- Facebook page
- Continue to invite people.
- PR Committee will be posting
- Future Senates
- Divestment campaign –TBA
- Divestment from Fossil Fuels. Our company is not investing in companies with this.
- Future students and staff maybe coming to speak to raise awareness.
- Christina Burney – Nov. 16
- Director of Career Services
- Club approvals
- Last two Senates.
- Checking off to make clubs provisional.
- In the Future, we need to be prepared to have questions for our speakers.
- Putting in their own personal time to come speak to us and keep us informed.
- Brainstorming session
- Normally we begin to lose steam around this type of year.
- Now that we are in groove of things, we will now hold a brainstorming sessions.
- Broken up into groups, write down on poster on what is a “perfect college” see what we can improve on.
- 5 categories. Count off by 5.
- Diverse curriculum with social justice awareness.
- Minimum scheduling conflicts.
- Improve LCs and Capstone, and Cornerstone. – A lot of issues finding LC that relates to what you want to learn. Too much variation. Concern we can bring to academic committee.
- Better advisors.
- Graduate school programs. – Affiliations with other schools- not well known and many programs that are no longer a thing.
- Life skills classes.
- Outcome related classes and not just on the grade- what did you learn? Did you work hard, etc.?
- More professional workers.
- Portion equality with gender (Women are receiving less portions then men).
- More local food
- More options for people with allergies
- Less expensive food options – healthy
- Hours- specified- Even when stations are open until 7:30, at 7:15, many stations are already closed and cleaning up- Receives angry responses from workers if you arrive too early or too late.
- Cross examination of utensils.
- Hot breakfast everyday at the Sem
- Dinner maybe stays open until 7 on Sundays?
- Marissa -9:30 was told to have to wait for breakfast.
- Promote Diverse Events
- Take down past posters. – Minor issue that affects other advertising. Work-study job? Stamps maybe could include taking down posters 24 hours. Student who works in Duffy takes down posters.
- More attendance
- More annual events. Ex. The success of Midnight Madness.
- Weekend late night events- Dodeball, food activities
- Promote Events earlier.- underclassmen not aware.
- Promote online calendar on the app.
- School wide volunteering.
- Bounce of tradition and new. Same events but with a slight change.
- More student run events awareness.
- Homecoming weekend
- Daytime concert.
- Clubs will host very similar events to other clubs- Better communication between clubs.
- More awareness of Master Schedule- Anna and Patrick hold meeting for calendar- 80 clubs and 10-15 show up.
- Super Fan Contest.
- Ice Hockey Rink
- Do not bash poorly performing teams
- Concession stands at every game.
- Better relationships between athletics and non-athletics- Not just that relationship but all student leaders. Cross Collaboration.
- School Spirit improved- Pep Rallies?
- Pool outside.
- Campus Climate
- Be aware of Campus Happenings.
- Supportive reducing biased incidents- respect, understanding.
- Open mind atmosphere.
- Green campus.
- Political climate discussions.
- Act on your complaints- Come to Senate.
- Off campus events- reduce “Stone hill event”
- Day of service. – Mission Office. On Academic Development day or a day that is already free.
- Yik Yak- Negative feedback of Culture Not a Costume. We received negative and positive feedback with ignorant Yik Yak Posts.- Not just SGA, this is a College issue. Yik Yak shows we are not as inclusive as we need to be.
Now that we have these ideas, how can we make this work? E-Board will figure out which ideas are realistic for us, which ones we can pass on to other offices? Etc.
- Questions, Comments, Ideas?
Kate Morneault (Executive President):
- Career Services will be coming to Senate November 16th
- Academic Committee meeting times are in the process of being scheduled
Anna Craft (Executive Vice President):
Matt Farrenkopf (Executive Secretary):
- PR committee is working on advertising for Town Hall and organizing for our November 20th SGA Event.
Chris McNamara (Executive Treasurer):
- Met with Rita Friday to finalize e-mail
Adriana Rosadio (Executive Programming Chair):
- 10/26: Women’s Soccer (3:30pm)
- 10/27: Field Hockey’s Purple & White Game (7pm)
- 10/29: Midnight Madness
- 10/30: Field Hockey (7pm)
- 10/31: Women’s Soccer (12pm)
- Football (1pm)
- Halloween Dance
Nisha Khubchandani (Executive Diversity Chair):
- “One Love” Training: collaborating with Health and Wellness and Criminology Department (November 3 at 7 pm; location TBD)
- Launched Culture Not Costume Posters Social Media Campaign to address recent poster vandalism
Ryan McDonough (Executive Finance Chair):
Andrew Hunt (Commuter Senator):
- Aces Place after Thanksgiving may increase Sunday hours- Budget issue
Michael Middleton (Commuter Senator): No update
Jamie McDermott (2016 Senator):
- Karaoke Night Friday, November 6th in the Hill
Jacqueline Durand (2016 Senator):
Molly Wolf (2017 Senator):
- Charity Dodgeball Tournament & Possible Class Apparel
Marisa Licata (2017 Senator): No update
Kristen Fontaine (2018 Senator):
Tim Cronin (2018 Senator):
Sebastian Patino (2019 Senator):
Chad L’Heureux (2019 Senator):
Lea Perugini (Heights Senator):
- Planning for haunted Sem and Heights fall fest
- Discussing how to promote hall council
Laura Harvey (Corr/Villa Senator):
- Villa and Corr are working on haunted sem.
Rebecca Brackett (O’Hara Senator):
Emily Hunter (Boland Senator): No update
Travis Normandin (HCC Senator):
- Sem Fundraiser coming soon