The Latest Campus News

Students relieved by campus arrest


By Aimee Chiavaroli

The Stonehill College student body is breathing a collective sigh of relief now that police have made an arrest in the case of a threat made against the College Sept. 25.

Junior Amy Szablak is pleased with the way the investigation was handled. “I’m happy that they caught him in a timely manner and notified us right away,” she said.

Senior Brendan Murphy is happy to see things go “back to normal” on campus, he said.

“I think it is a good thing they caught the person who sent in the threat and I’m glad they handled it so swiftly.”

Although Murphy believes law enforcement acted swiftly, he said he wishes school officials had been more communicative about the case.

“That’s one thing I think they could have done better,” he said. “I felt outside of the loop since the whole event happened.”

Junior Kasie Lyons said she feels more comfortable on campus now that an arrest has been made.

“It makes me feel a lot safer knowing that they have somebody and that they’ve taken it seriously,” she said.

Senior Maddy Ryan, who is interning in New York City this semester, was shocked reading the news about the investigation.

“I never imagined anything similar happening at Stonehill,” she said.

Senior Gavin Damore was pleased with how quickly Campus Police were able to track the suspect down and make an arrest.

“I’m glad the arrest happened, and it makes me feel safer that person who did it is no longer on campus,” he said. “It seemed to proceed quickly and didn’t linger.”

Junior Dan Nolan did not think that an arrest would ever be made.

“I was surprised that they were actually able to track him down and happy to see they were diligent about it, he said. “I feel safer already.”

Following his arrest Benjamin DiBiase, 21, of Wellesley, Massachusetts, was ordered held without bail by Taunton District Court Judge Paul J. McCalum at his arraignment Thursday, Oct. 15.

DiBiase is charged with possession of a hoax incendiary device, defacing property, and making a bomb threat with serious public alarm.

DiBiase is currently in the custody of the Massachusetts State Police. He has been suspended from the College and barred from campus as the case moves through the court system.

(Additional reporting by Liam Dacko and Joe D’Amore).

Leave a Reply

Required fields are marked *.