Americans love bottled water. While a substantial portion of the world is desperate for clean drinking water, America spends billions of dollars on bottled water when clean drinking water is readily available. For some reason, people are under the illusion that bottled water is cleaner and healthier, both of which are not true. Here is a quick list of five reasons of why you should drink tap water.
1. Tap water is safer. Tap water is tested for e. coli, required to provide a source, and its distributors are required to produce a quality report. Private distributors are required to do none of this. The EPA sets higher quality standards for tap water than the FDA does for bottled water.
2. Tap water is cheaper. Tap water costs $.0015/gallon while bottled water costs $10/gallon. If the water we use in our homes cost what bottled water costs, monthly bills would be up to $9,000.
3. Reduce recycling waste. Only 20% of bottled water is recycled. This contributes to 3 billion pounds of waste from plastic water bottles per year.
4. Use less oil. 17 million barrels of oil are used yearly to produce bottled water. This is enough oil to run 1 million cars for a year.
5. Bottling companies make water a commodity. The privatization of municipal water supplies is a multi-billion dollar industry that ruins the communities they operate out of. Corporations are increasingly purchasing water rights and putting a price on a basic human right: access to safe, affordable drinking water.
A simple solution to the problem of bottled water is to stopping buying it! You can make a direct difference by using stainless steel thermos’, nalgenes, or filtering pitchers. Safe your money while saving the environment!