I know the holiday season is upon us, and when I think holidays I think food! It’s a big aspect of this time of year- getting together with friends and family, sharing stories, and breaking bread. Literally.
I wanted to take a few minutes to remind you that there are many ways that you can lend a helping hand in the kitchen this holiday season when buying for and preparing those beloved home cooked meals!
Sustainable table.org offers ten simple way to incorporate sustainable eating habits into not only this and every holiday season, but your everyday lifestyle.
- Educate yourself about what your eating – check out TheMeatrix.com and www.SustainableTable.org
- Shop sustainable- start off small and work your way into it
- Ask questions- were pesticides used? What were the animals fed?
- Reduce your meat consumption: meatless Mondays anyone? – this not only helps out the environment, but your body too
- Eat seasonal! Buy local fruits and vegetables
- Try growing your own
- Cook your own food- check out some great recipes at sustainabletable.org/kitchen/recipes
- Take back the tap! Check out H20conserve.org to calculate your water footprint, and take the pledge to reduce your waste consumption of bottle water at www.takebackthetap.org
- Spread the word- Tell your friends and family about all the things you have learned when you get together this holiday
- Enjoy! (Fresh and sustainable foods)
Remember that it is important to keep in mind these tips over the holidays. I know it can be overwhelming with so much going on, but take a step back and think about how the choices you make can impact the world we live.
Have a safe and delicious holiday